This recipe comes to us from "debmidge" in the Gluten-Free Forum
1 stick butter or margerine
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice (or lemon juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
¾ cup corn starch *
½ cup white rice flour *
½ cup brown rice flour *
½ cup potato starch *
¼ cup tapioca flour *
*or use 2 ½ cups gluten-free flour of your choice
Filling: Apricot, prune, or strawberry preserves or jam mini chocolate chips, M&Ms, etc.
- In mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg.
- Add orange juice and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan.
- Add flour slowly to mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours ( I do overnight).
- Roll out dough onto lightly gluten-free floured surface. Roll to 1/8 to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut into circles with 2 ½ inch wide glass.
- Fill each circle with about ½ teaspoonful of filling of your choice.
- Fold up 3 sides of circle and pinch edges firmly to form triangle with opening at center to let filling peek through.
at 375F degrees on parchment covered cookie sheet for about 15 minutes,
or until lightly browned. Let cool before transferring to plate.
This recipe makes about 26 gluten-free Hamantaschen cookies, and it can be doubled.