- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
New Insights into Inflammatory Bowel Disease Serology Testing
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 06/19/2009 - Specialty pharmaceutical and diagnostic company, Prometheus Laboratories Inc., announced results from two recent studies concerning the use of serologic testing to predict inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
The first study assessed the consistency of biomarkers in patients who received multiple Prometheus IBD Serology 7 tests within a two-year period. Overall levels for repeat testing orders were just 2.2%. Original and repeat tests showed a high degree of agreement. Average variation in biomarker serum concentrations ran between 2.2 EU/mL and 4.3 EU/mL.
Results agreed with prior studies suggesting biomarker stability over similar time periods. Further studies are needed to gauge the impact of therapy on biomarker stability over the long term.
A second, multi-center clinical study of 1,574 subject samples brought the total development cohort of the test to a more heterogeneous 3,626 patient samples.
Results with this large patient cohort further showed that combining multiple markers with Prometheus' Smart Diagnostic Algorithm permits clinicians to better distinguish IBD vs. non-IBD and Crohn's disease vs. ulcerative colitis, compared to standard cutoff value analysis of the individual markers alone.
Prometheus IBD Serology 7 combines multiple serologic markers with a proprietary Smart Diagnostic Algorithm, increasing test sensitivity by more than 25% over single marker sensitivity values.
Medical News Today
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
- Positive Predictive Value of Serological Diagnostic Measures in Celiac Disease
- Response to NY Times Article: Confirming a Diagnosis of Celiac Disease
- Evaluating Commercial Test Kits for Celiac Disease
- HLA Genetic Testing for Family Members of Celiacs - by Bill Elkus, Founder, Celiac List at St.Johns