Gluten-free Holiday Food and Gift Tips
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Along with some of our favorite tips and links for preparing delicious gluten-free meals and treats, we've included a list of great gluten-free gift selections to help you get the most out of your gluten-free holiday season.
Once again, for those planning to prepare a gluten-free turkey dinner, here are some helpful tips to help it go smoothly:
- Start your gluten-free holiday dinner with a gluten-free turkey. Not all brands of turkey are gluten-free. Some contain gluten in their additives—so, as with everything else, check the ingredients and use our Gluten-Free Ingredient Lists or our Gluten-Free Shopping Guides to help you shop.
- Demand gluten-free stuffing! Accept no substitute. Don’t risk putting non-gluten-free stuffing in your turkey. Instead, try Celiac.com's favorite gluten-free stuffing recipe.
- Top that stuffing with simple, delicious gluten-free gravy from either a gluten-free gravy mix, or a gluten-free gravy recipe. Remember, some bouillon cubes contain gluten, so be sure to use gluten-free bouillon cubes. Tip: Thicken your homemade gravy with either corn starch or arrowroot flour.
- Prepare easy, tasty gluten-free side dishes by browsing Celiac.com's extensive listing of gluten-free recipes, where you will find side dishes to impress even the snootiest gourmet.
- Nothing says holidays like the smell of baking. Load up on your gluten-free baking ingredients and other hard-to-find items like prepared gluten-free pies gluten-free cakes, brownies and baking mixes ahead of time.
Don't forget those gluten-free cookies and crackers. Nothing anchors out the holiday snack selection like a good cracker. Choose from a wide selection of gluten-free crackers for your family and guests. Pair them with your favorite wines, cheeses, and hors d'oeuvres for a smashing holiday spread.
And who can get through the holidays without nibbling on a cookie. Not Santa, that's for sure! Keep plenty of gluten-free cookies and crackers on hand this holiday season, and remember to leave a gluten-free cookie for Santa!
Gluten-free Gift IdeasUpdated Gluten-free Food and Drug Lists are a great way to make sure your gluten-free loved ones are current with the latest gluten-free ingredients and products.
For those who like to stay abreast of the latest research on celiac disease and gluten intolerance, may we suggest the Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.
Books on gluten-free living, diet, recipes and other issues make great holiday gifts. This season, celiac.com suggests Elisabeth Hasselbeck's G-Free Diet
Remember, gluten-free personal body care products and gluten-free gift vouchers make great for your gluten-free loved ones.
Meantime, for those looking for more great gluten-free holiday food and meal suggestions, including celiac.com's Best Ever Gluten-free Stuffing, and Gluten-free Pumpkin Pie, click on the links.
Celiac.com wishes you and your loved ones a safe, healthy, and happy gluten-free holiday season!
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).