Celiac.com 12/11/2009 - Happy Holidays, gluten-free food lovers! Our readers enjoyed the Thanksgiving edition of Celiac.com's Gluten-free Holiday Guide
so much that we've decided to provide even more gluten-free food for thought as the holidays kick into high gear!
Once again, the basic message is the same: With a little of planning and a few tips, anyone with celiac disease or gluten intolerance can enjoy safe,delicious gluten-free foods, treats, and baked goods this holiday season without worrying about accidental gluten consumption.
with some of our favorite tips and links for preparing delicious gluten-free meals and treats, we've included a list of great gluten-free gift selections to help you get the most out of your gluten-free holiday season.
Once again, for those planning to prepare a gluten-free turkey dinner, here are some helpful tips to help it go smoothly:
- Start your gluten-free holiday dinner with a gluten-free
turkey. Not all brands of turkey are gluten-free. Some contain gluten
in their additives—so, as with everything else, check the ingredients
and use our Gluten-Free Ingredient Lists or our Gluten-Free Shopping Guides to help you shop.
- Demand gluten-free stuffing! Accept no substitute. Don’t risk putting non-gluten-free stuffing in your turkey. Instead, try Celiac.com's favorite gluten-free stuffing recipe.
- Top that stuffing with simple, delicious gluten-free gravy from either a gluten-free gravy mix, or a gluten-free gravy recipe. Remember, some bouillon cubes contain gluten, so be sure to use gluten-free bouillon cubes. Tip: Thicken your homemade gravy with either corn starch or arrowroot flour.
- Prepare easy, tasty gluten-free side dishes by browsing Celiac.com's extensive listing of gluten-free recipes, where you will find side dishes to impress even the snootiest gourmet.
- Nothing says holidays like the smell of baking. Load up on your gluten-free baking ingredients and other hard-to-find items like prepared gluten-free pies gluten-free cakes, brownies and baking mixes ahead of time.
Keep your loved ones happy and spend more time
with friends and family and less time in the
kitchen! Many excellent prepared gluten-free products can now be
ordered and delivered directly to your door from places like the Gluten-Free Mall
Don't forget those gluten-free cookies and crackers. Nothing anchors out the holiday snack selection like a good cracker. Choose
from a wide selection of gluten-free crackers for your family and
guests. Pair them with your favorite wines, cheeses, and hors d'oeuvres
for a smashing holiday spread.
And who can get through the holidays without nibbling on a cookie.
Not Santa, that's for sure! Keep plenty of gluten-free cookies and
crackers on hand this holiday season, and remember to leave a gluten-free cookie for Santa!
Gluten-free Gift Ideas
Updated Gluten-free Food and Drug Lists are a great way to make
sure your gluten-free loved ones are current with the latest
gluten-free ingredients and products
For those who like to stay abreast of the latest research on celiac disease and gluten intolerance, may we suggest the Journal of Gluten Sensitivity
Books on gluten-free living, diet, recipes
and other issues make great holiday gifts. This season, celiac.com suggests Elisabeth Hasselbeck's G-Free Diet
Remember, gluten-free personal body care products and gluten-free gift vouchers make great for your gluten-free loved ones.
Meantime, for those looking for more great gluten-free holiday food and meal suggestions, including celiac.com's Best Ever Gluten-free Stuffing, and Gluten-free Pumpkin Pie, click on the links.
Celiac.com wishes you and your loved ones a safe, healthy, and happy gluten-free holiday season!