- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Macaroni and Cheese (Gluten-Free)
Macaroni and Cheese (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese (photo courtesy of YoAmes)
- Filtered water, pinch sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free macaroni noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter (or substitute)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (or substitute)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or substitute)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill large pot half way with water. Bring water to a boil; cook macaroni to al dente stage according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and paprika and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spread half the macaroni over the bottom of a lightly greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Spread half the remaining cheese over the macaroni.
- Top with remaining macaroni.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).