- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Cake Recipes (Frostings)
- Raw Cheesecake (Gluten-Free)
Raw Cheesecake (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Cheesecake (photo courtesy of Akajos)
Finding the ingredients may be the hardest part of making this raw cheesecake. Many items can be found at most health food stores.
The entire preparation process takes less than 30 minutes (not including the nut soaking).
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup dried coconut
- 6 Tbs. coconut oil, melted but not to a boil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/2 sun-dried vanilla bean
- 3 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
- Himalayan salt
- Place macadamia nuts in large bowl, and cover with cold, filtered water and pinch of salt. Place cashews in separate bowl, and cover with cold, filtered water, and pinch of salt. Soak nuts 4 hours, then rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Pulse macadamia nuts and dates in food processor to a sticky crumb-like consistency. Sprinkle dried coconut on bottom of 8-inch pie pan. Press macadamia nut mixture onto coconut to make crust.
- Place cashews, coconut oil, lime juice, agave nectar, and 6 Tbs. water in bowl of food processor. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into food processor bowl, and purée until smooth. Pour mixture onto crust, and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter. Defrost in fridge 1 hour, or on counter top 30 minutes; top with berries; and serve.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).
Get FREE Celiac.com email alerts (1-3 email per month with the latest celiac disease research and information, gluten-free recipes, etc.).