- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Indian and Middle Eastern Recipes
- Chicken Korma with Saffron (Gluten-Free)
Chicken Korma with Saffron (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Chicken Korma (photo courtesy of Jlastras)
Chicken Korma with Saffron
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1/3 cup Greek-style gluten-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup gluten-free curry paste
- 1 tsp. gluten-free garam masala
- Pinch of gluten-free saffron threads
- 2 pounds gluten-free chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 tbs. cooking oil
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 or 2 sliced carrots
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- Combine the yogurt, curry paste, garam masala and saffron in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the chicken. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens. Avoid curdling-don't boil the curry. Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the extra oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add cashews, raisins and curry leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the cashews are golden and the raisins are plump.
- Transfer the curry to a serving dish. Top with cashew mixture to serve.
Make it ahead: Prepare this recipe to end of step 3 up to 2 days ahead. Cover and store in fridge. Continue to end of step 4 up to 2 hours before serving. Store in an airtight container. Reheat the curry in a saucepan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Continue from step 5.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).
Get FREE Celiac.com email alerts (1-3 email per month with the latest celiac disease research and information, gluten-free recipes, etc.).