- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Pie & Pie Crust Recipes
- Strawberry Pavlova (Gluten-Free)
Strawberry Pavlova (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Gluten-Free Pavlova (photo courtesy of imcountingufoz)
Strawberry Pavlova Cupcakes (Gluten-Free)
- 1 cup fresh (organic) strawberries, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature (they will separate easier if they are cold)
- 1 cup superfine or regular sugar
- 1 2/3 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 F degrees. Mix strawberry pieces with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside. Place 12
- In a the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a medium bowl with a hand-held mixer), whisk eggs until stiff peaks form. With mixer still on high, gradually add in one cup of superfine sugar, about a tablespoon at a time. Keep whisking until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and whisk until just combined. Whisk vinegar and cornstarch into the mixer and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon meringue mixture into prepared muffin liners until mixture just overflows the top of the liners. Use the back of a spoon to fluff out the meringue to create smooth little peaks. Or you can simply use a standard sized ice cream scoop to fill the liners, which also looks pretty.
- Reduce oven temperature to 220 degrees, and bake for one hour. Turn off oven and allow to cool completely as the oven cools.
- Whip cream together with confectioner’s sugar and 2/3 teaspoon of vanilla until soft peaks form. Gently cut the tops off the cupcakes and fill with a dollop of whipped cream and a spoonful of strawberries.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).