I was never a big cake fan, in fact for my birthday I always asked for pie or torte rather than cake. However, brownies are another story. I love eating brownies when they are warm and gooey, right out of the oven. Unfortunately, I haven't had homemade brownies since going, gluten, egg, dairy and refined sugar free. These brownies are gluten-free, and grain-free as well as egg, refined sugar and dairy free. There is even an option to substitute chocolate with carob. Finally, a brownie recipe that I can actually eat!
Devil's Food Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- 1 ¾ cups of almond flour
- ½ cup sifted cocoa or carob powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (mix with 6 tablespoons boiling water)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl.
- Mix the dry into the wet and mix until it is thick cake batter consistency. Add a little flour if too runny or add a little milk if too thick.
- Grease an 8.5 inch square cake pan with coconut oil or butter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Brownies will be soft and bubbling but should be done after 50 minutes. Let cool for at least an hour or overnight before serving. They will be very soft and moist.