This recipe is very exciting to me, because it is a vegetarian version of my favorite food. Prior to going gluten-free and eliminating meat from my diet, I loved chicken tikka masala. This recipe is wonderful because it is an easy gluten-free, dairy-free, and meat-free recipe!
Vegetarian Tikka Masala (Gluten-Free)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tablespoo paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ sweet onions, finely diced
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- ½ cup water
- himalayan or sea salt to taste
- 2 medium russet potatoes, diced
- ½ green cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas
- coconut milk
- Mix all of the ingredients for the Masala Paste together.
- Start cooking the rice cooking according to the package instructions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods for just a few seconds to add fragrance to the oil, then remove them. Careful not to leave them too long or it will overwhelm the flavor of your masala.
- Add the onions and stir until they are browned.
- Add the masala paste and stir for a minute, then add the tomato and stir for another minute, then add the water and bring it to a simmer.
- Add Salt to taste.
- Add the chopped potatoes, cabbage, and peas. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes and cabbage are tender and a fork can slide easily through the potato pieces.
- Add coconut milk to taste--the coconut milk will create a sauce. Note: you can substitute yogurt for coconut milk if you like.
- Serve over aromatic Basmati rice or rice of your choice.