Because of my various dietary restrictions, I have a very difficult time finding healthy, savory breakfast choices. Which is why when I stumbled upon this recipe I was elated! Not only is this gluten-free breakfast sausage recipe vegan, but it is also, soy-free, corn-free and nut-free. Finally, something yummy to add to my scrambled veggie tofu, and potatoes in the morning. This will likely be a new staple in my diet.
Vegan Breakfast Sausage (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 10 links
- 2 cups black-eyed peas (15 ½ oz can, un-drained)
- ½ cup gluten-free potato flour
- 1/4 very finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes -to taste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 sprig parsley, finely chopped – to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- Mash black-eyed peas and potato flour together in bowl. Add mushrooms together with peas and potato flour. Roll about 10 or so sausage shapes out of the mixture.
- Put spices on clean surface, and roll the "sausages" over the spice mixture, coating well. If you would rather have patties for a vegan burger, these work great that way as well.
- In frying pan on medium to low heat, in a little oil fry the sausages, carefully turning as they brown. (And they do turn a nice golden brown)
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Make sure that the end mixture is not runny. This might happen if the un-drained can of black-eyed peas contains too much liquid (the liquid in a can of beans vary from brand to brand.) If yours is too runny to shape into sausage or patty shapes, add more flour until you can work with it.