I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.
Allergen Free Waffles (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: Approximately 5 Belgian waffles.
1. Start by grinding the flax seeds in your blender or food processor until it reaches a finely ground consistency.
2. Mix the ground flax seed with the warm water in a medium glass bowl, set aside, let sit for 3 minutes.
3. Whisk together the rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large glass bowl. Blend the coconut milk and molasses into the water and flax seed mixture.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until the batter is slightly lumpy.
5. Preheat the waffle iron until warm.
6. Mix the batter again briefly, breaking up any remaining balls of rice flour.
7. Completely grease both sides of the waffle iron.
8. Pour the batter into the center of the iron, covering the iron enough but not too much that the batter overflows.
9. Bake each waffle until it is brown and can be removed from the iron without breaking or falling apart.