Plantains are commonly used for cooking in most tropical regions. Under ripe plantains or green plantains have a starchy texture, whereas overripe plantains have a sweeter taste; both are delicious. This recipe works best with green plantains, and it is dairy, egg, corn and gluten-free.
Crispy Plantain Patties (gluten-free)Serving Size:
Makes about 4 large pattiesPatty Ingredients
- 3 cups mashed small green bananas (approximately 4 plantains)
- ½ Cup Gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- cooking oil
Nutty Filling Ingredients
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 3 green onions chopped into ¼ inch pieces
To Make plantain patties:
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- Do not peel the plantains yet. Cut off plantain ends and make cuts along the side by scoring the plantain.
- Boil in large pot for approximately 20 minutes with peels (until you can poke a fork through them).
- Drain and let cool.
- Remove peels and mash plantains.
- Add flour and baking powder to plantains to create a dough.
- Roll into four balls and then into 5” patties on a floured counter or cutting board.
- Combine cashews, lemon, soy sauce, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a small amount of cooking oil in a skillet over medium and fry cakes until golden brown.
- Add nutty filling and veggie toppings to each patty and serve hot.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with a side of beans and rice for a traditional Puerto Rican meal.