Homemade strawberry shortcakes remind me of being a kid. I loved eating the strawberry shortcake while the homemade biscuits were still warm. This recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for real strawberry shortcake, not the spongy kind you buy at the store, but the southern home-style kind. Of course, good luck finding gluten-free strawberry shortcakes this good anywhere else. This recipe is gluten-free, nut-free and egg-free.Strawberry Shortcakes (Gluten-Free)
Serving size: Makes 9 shortcakesStrawberry Topping Ingredients:
To make strawberry topping:
- 3 baskets organic strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar- to taste
Homemade whipped cream Ingredients:
- Remove the stems from the strawberries. Slice into thin (¼ " to ⅛") slices. Put into a large bowl.
- Add sugar and mix into the strawberries.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- After the strawberries have been sitting for about 30 minutes, take a fork and mash them a little- just enough to get more juice out of them.
To make whip-cream:
- Small box whipping cream
- 2 drops gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
Gluten-Free Biscuit Ingredients:
- Whip the cream thoroughly.
- Add two drops of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of sugar, or to taste.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
To Make Biscuits:
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ Tablespoons gluten-free baking powder
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ⅓ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix with a fork to blend.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a fork until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Combine the cream and vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened and just combined. It will be dry and choppy. Gently knead by hand to create a loose ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly gluten-free floured cutting board and pat it into an 8-inch square, ¾
to 1 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment, cover with plastic and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Remove the dough from refrigerator. Cut the dough into 9 even squares and spread them about 2 inches apart from each other on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, approximately 20 minutes
To serve strawberry shortcakes, split a biscuit in half. Ladle strawberries over the biscuit. Add whipped cream and dig in!