- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Avocado and Tomatillo Soup (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Avocado and Tomatillo Soup (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
The finished avocado and tomatillo soup. Photo: CC-devlyn
This version of a cold Mexican soup will refresh both your palate and your culinary repertoire. It makes great base, and holds up nicely to other flavors. Adding roasted chili or jalapeño peppers or cherry tomatoes gives it a surprising bite. For a more rustic texture, omit the blender altogether. Dice the tomatillos into small chunks, and work the avocados well with a wooden spoon or fork. This soup makes wonderful meal on a warm day.
3 ripe avocados
5 ripe tomatillos
3 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 gloves garlic, chopped
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a pot of water to boil and cook tomatillos for five minutes, until tender. Roughly chop and add to a blender along with diced avocado and garlic. Add chicken stock and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Work in batches depending on the size of your blender.
Transfer to a bowl and fold in cream and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).