- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Pudding Recipes
- Sautéed Pears with Honey-Yogurt (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Sautéed Pears with Honey-Yogurt (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
The finished sautéed pears with honey-yogurt. Photo: CC-SanFranAnnie
There’s something inherently elegant about cooking fruit; it’s always a crowd-pleaser. This dessert is perfect for entertaining with because you can make the yogurt topping ahead of time. The yogurt itself goes great with other fruit or as a finisher for waffles. It’s also fun to have guests make their own sundae-style serving by offering raisins or fresh raspberries alongside the nuts.
6 medium pears, peeled and halved
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup plain yogurt
¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
Combine yogurt with about ½ the honey and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Chill for at least an hour.
Slice each pear half into 4 slices and add to a heated pan of melted butter. Add remaining honey and cloves. Stir until pears are well-coated and tender, about 8-10 minutes.
To serve, spoon pears into a small bowl and top with a dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with nuts if using.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).