- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Okra and Tomatoes (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Okra and Tomatoes (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
The finished okra and tomatoes. Photo: CC-MollyJade
Simply put, this dish is yummy! It’s also an easy way of breaking the ice with okra for anyone who’s yet to try. I love this recipe because it’s such a great base. It’s delicious over rice or with sausage, shrimp, or pork chops. Okra has great texture, absolutely perfect with the soft tomatoes and peppers.
3 cups okra, chopped into ½-inch pieces
2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
A pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, about a teaspoon each
Add bacon to a large, heated skillet and cook until crisp. Transfer to a towel and add onions to skillet. Sauté until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute longer.
Add okra, tomatoes, and peppers and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Finish with bacon and pepper flakes and serve.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).