- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Chinese & Asian Recipes
- Coconut Mango Rice (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Coconut Mango Rice (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
The finished coconut mango rice. Photo: CC--Permanently_Scatterbrained
There is so much to love about this southeast Asian desert. It’s creamy and sweet and it tastes great warm or cold. It’s also simple to put together and one of those meals that just tastes like summer. I’m a sucker for mangoes, but if you already have them on hand, sweet oranges, or juicy satsumas make a fine substitute. Toasted coconut makes a nice topping for a bit of tasty texture.
1 cup rice
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 cup fresh mango chunks
½ cup mango juice
½ cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch of salt
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add rice and stir until well-coated. Slowly add coconut milk, mango juice, water and salt and bring to a boil.
Cover rice and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer about 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in butter and mango pieces. Serve immediately.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).