- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Easy Ground Beef Tacos (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
As a kid, the first tacos I ever had were far from traditional Mexican style tacos. The were much closer to the style of tacos later made famous by chains like Taco Bell and others. They were made with ground beef, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes. If your kids are partial to the fast food version, they will likely love these little gems.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup of water
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 1½ cups shredded cheese
- ½ cup chopped onion (as desired)
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 10-12 crispy corn tortilla shells
- Your favorite hot sauce or salsa, as desired.
Heat oil to medium heat in a large skillet.
Add onions (if desired) and cook until clear.
Add ground beef and cook until brown, draining away any excess oil.
Add water and bring to a brief boil, then reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
Add taco seasoning to taste. Add more or less as desired.
Allow the mixture to cook down for about 10 minutes or so until the water cooks off.
Remove from heat and serve meet in crispy corn tortilla shells. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and cheese.
Add your favorite hot sauce or salsa as desired.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
2 tablespoons ground chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Mix ingredients in a bowl and place in a jar to use as needed.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).