- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Italian Recipes
- Insalata Caprese (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Insalata Caprese (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Want an easy, splashy side dish or snack that's low in calories, big on flavor, and also makes use of the last of any summer tomatoes you might have left? This old Italian favorite will do the trick nicely.
Insalata caprese is one of those simple dishes that come together with just a few fresh ingredients to deliver big taste, bold color and low calories all in one dish.
Tomatoes, sliced thick
Fresh basil (lightly chopped)
Fresh mozzarella (preferably mozzarella di buffala)
Salt and pepper to taste
Slice tomatoes onto a plate. Top each tomato slice with a slice of fresh mozzarella.
Top the cheese with a bit of fresh chopped basil. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dash with salt and pepper and start eating!
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).