- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Fried Irish Cabbage with Bacon (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Fried Irish Cabbage with Bacon (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
If you want to celebrate St. Patty's Day with an easy, tasty Irish dish that moves away from corned beef and cabbage, then this just might be the ticket. Basically, it's just cabbage cooked in bacon drippings and topped with bacon. If this doesn't make you like cabbage, nothing will. It's a dish that goes great with your favorite gluten-free beer, and is a great dish to bring to a potluck.
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon
- ¼ cup bacon drippings
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- ground black pepper to taste
Cook bacon in a deep skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve ¼ cup drippings in skillet.
Cook and stir cabbage in hot bacon drippings over medium heat until cabbage wilts, 5 to 7 minutes.
Crumble bacon over cabbage. Stir and simmer until bacon is warmed, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with black pepper. Serve.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Vegan and Gluten-Free Creamy Purple Potato Pasta Salad
This is the perfect dish to bring to a potluck lunch or dinner.... [READ MORE]
All American Hamburgers (Gluten-Free)
Summer is upon us and that usually means lots of barbecues and fun social gatherings involving food.... [READ MORE]
Hash Brown Bake Casserole (Gluten-Free)
One more holiday breakfast casserole.... [READ MORE]
Jane's Tuna/Noodle Casserole (Gluten-Free)
recipe comes to us from Jan Ryan.... [READ MORE]