- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Chinese & Asian Recipes
- Chinese-style Lemon Chicken (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Chinese-style Lemon Chicken (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 05/15/2013 - Lemon chicken may be one of those Americanized Chinese dishes, like sweet and sour pork, and chow mein that have become a staple at nearly every Chinese restaurant in the country. Still, I love it. However, being gluten free, I have to be careful when dining out. Even if the restaurant doesn't use flour outright, there's always the possibility of cross contamination.
One way I've resolved this tension is by learning how to make a delicious gluten-free Chinese-style lemon chicken using a corn-starch-based batter.
In this delicious recipe, chicken is battered in egg and corn starch, then cooked until it's crispy and golden on the outside, tender on the inside. It is then covered with a sweet, tangy lemon sauce.
The taste will rival your favorite Chinese restaurant, and have your eating team trading high-fives. Serve it over rice, and garnish with a nice steamed vegetable, like broccoli.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in chunks or short strips
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups cooking oil
Lemon Sauce Ingredients:
- 1½ cup water
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3½ tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger, or more if desired
To make the batter, combine the cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the egg yolks with the water until combined. Add the egg mixture to the cornstarch and blend until smooth.
Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet.
Dip the chicken pieces into the egg mixture, until well-coated. Cook in the hot oil until golden brown, turning as needed. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, about 5 minutes until sauce boils and the brown sugar and bouillon granules are fully dissolved.
Place the chicken in a serving dish, top evenly with sauce, and top with the sliced green onions.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).