- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Chinese & Asian Recipes
- Steak with Mushrooms and Chinese Broccoli (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Steak with Mushrooms and Chinese Broccoli (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 12/10/2013 - I love quick easy stir-fry dishes that use fresh meat and vegetables to deliver big flavor and a tasty meal.
This version uses skirt steak, mushroom, sweet red pepper and Chinese broccoli or greens to do the trick.
- 1 pound skirt steak, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of Chinese greens or Chinese broccoli
- 4 medium carrots, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced on bias
- Handful of Shitake or Oyster mushrooms, sliced
- ½ sweet red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- Cooked rice, for serving
Cook the rice.
In a small bowl whisk soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey, and garlic, and season with pepper.
Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper, and coat with cornstarch.
In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add half of the steak, and cook, tossing, until browned, 1 to 2 minutes, and move to a plate. Cook remaining steak the same way and move to the plate.
To skillet, add mushrooms and sauté until tender.
Add soy mixture, broccoli or greens, peppers and carrots.
Cover and cook, tossing occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Return steak to skillet; cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve with rice.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).