- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Perfect Holiday Mashed Potatoes (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Perfect Holiday Mashed Potatoes (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 11/20/2013 - Every holiday season, I field questions about the best way to map mashed potatoes. Which method is best? Which recipe?
This is the simplest, easiest recipe for excellent mashed potatoes, for the holidays or any time.
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
2 teaspoons salt, divided
⅓ cup butter
⅓ cup cream
2-3 ounces Greek-style yogurt
½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Bring potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, and cold water to cover to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 to 20 minutes until fork-tender; drain.
Return potatoes to pot. Cook on medium until water evaporates.
Add butter, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt.
Cook 1 to 2 minutes until butter melts and the liquid boils.
Mix and mash until smooth. Remove from heat.
Mix as needed to achieve desired smoothness. Serve immediately.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).