- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Slow Cook Southwest Chicken (Gluten-Free)
Slow Cook Southwest Chicken (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
I've been learning to love one pot, slow cook meals lately, and this southwest-inspired chicken dish is one of the results.
It's easy to prepare and tasty to eat. I'm happy because I can put it on in the morning and have it ready for lunch or for dinner, depending on how high I cook it.
Just prepare some rice, and you're ready for an easy, delicious dinner.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15 ounce can sweet corn, drained
- 15 ounce jar or can green or red salsa
- 8 ounce canned green chiles, drained
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces Cotija cheese
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- cilantro, chopped as garnish
- avocado wedges, as desired
- lime wedges as garnish
- radishes as garnish
- Cotija cheese as garnish
Put 4 boneless chicken breasts put into in a crock pot. If frozen, allow an extra hour or so to fully cook.
Add drained corn, black beans, green chiles and spices, and a dash of salt and pepper.
Cook on high for about 4 hours, or on low for about 8 hours, until chicken is cooked.
Right at the end, stir in sour cream.
Top with cilantro, avocado and garnish with extra cheese, lime and radishes as desired, and serve over rice.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).