- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Push-back Against Report Linking GMOs to Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 01/08/2014 - Push-back mounts against a controversial new report alleging that genetically engineered foods may trigger gluten sensitivity and celiac disease.
In the first salvo, Celiac Disease Foundation CEO Marilyn Geller derided the report, published last week by the Institute for Responsible Technology (IRT), as merely "speculative."
Then followed comments by leading plant geneticist, Dr. Wayne Parrott, professor of crop science at the University of Georgia, that the report relied on "a handful of deeply flawed"studies and ignored "more than 1,000 studies that have been published in refereed journals and which show that GM crops are as safe as their counterparts."
According to Geller, no one has offered scientific evidence "for a GMO/celiac disease link that is supported by the CDF Medical Advisory Board.
For their part, the authors of the IRT report admit that there is no data to prove that GMO consumption causes gluten sensitivity.
However, they try to hedge slightly by claiming that more and more research shows that GMO consumption may worsen celiac symptoms or lead to gluten sensitivity. Here again, they offer no good data to support their claims.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).
- John Hawks Explores the Evolution of Celiac Disease
- How Old Are the Genetic Factors that Leave us at Risk for Celiac Disease?
- Do Vitamin D Deficiency, Gut Bacteria, and Gluten Combine in Infancy to Cause Celiac Disease?
- Why So Many Intolerant To Gluten ? - by Luigi Greco, D.C.H., M.Sc.(MCH), M.D., Department of Pediatrics, University of Naples 06/30/1995