- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Spanish-style Baked Chicken with Olives (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Spanish-style Baked Chicken with Olives (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 03/05/2014 - The Spanish make some mean chicken. This easy recipe offers one of my favorite ways to make baked chicken. The chicken pieces are marinated, then baked with lemon, olives and raisins. Hints of oregano, paprika, garlic and bay leaf bring it all together.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1½ teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup sliced and pitted green olives
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- Ground pepper to taste
In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, raisins and olives.
Pierce the skin of the chicken with fork tines and place chicken in the marinade,
Coating well, cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 350°F.
Place chicken in large, shallow baking dish.
Combine wine with the marinade and pour over chicken.
Sprinkle chicken with paprika and brown sugar. Place lemon slices on top of the chicken.
Bake uncovered at 350°F, for about 45-55 minutes, basting occasionally, until chicken is tender, and juices run clear.
Remove bay leaves.
Serve over rice.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).