- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Indian and Middle Eastern Recipes
- Curried Potatoes with Chickpeas (Gluten-Free)
Curried Potatoes with Chickpeas (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 02/28/2014 - I love a good, rich, zesty curry. This dish is tasty, easy to make, and filling. It goes great at potlucks or large dinners, and keeps well in the freezer. Pair it with rice, and add some yogurt sauce, and you have a great meal.
- 1½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large can chickpeas (15-ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh kale, chard or mustard greens, washed, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or ghee
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups onions, sliced and fried crisp
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for topping
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (seeds removed)
- Kosher salt
Place the potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt and enough cold water to cover in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the potatoes.
Melt half of the the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add greens and cook until soft and tender. Place aside.
Melt remaining butter, and the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cayenne and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Add more butter as needed.
Add the chickpeas, 1 cup fried onions and ½ cup reserved cooking water; cook, mashing the potatoes with a spoon, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add more cooking water, if needed. Season with salt.
Mix the yogurt, chopped cilantro, lime juice and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl.
Spoon the potato-chickpea curry over rice. Top with the yogurt sauce, the remaining fried onions, the sliced jalapeño and cilantro.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).