- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips and Herbs (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips and Herbs (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
I am one of those people who has been perfectly okay making various kinds of mashed potatoes, and even sweet potatoes, but has been a bit skittish regarding the parsnip.
Unfamiliarity and fear of the unknown were likely driving factors. Then I discovered this simple way to incorporate parsnips into mashed potatoes, and the result is a big smile. This recipe makes a nice introduction to the parsnip.
- 1½ pounds parsnips
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 4½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Peel parsnips. Cut them crosswise into ½-inch rounds. If you get parsnips with a tough, fibrous core, then cut the parsnips in quarters lengthwise and cut out the tough core.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 to 1½-inch chunks.
Place into a medium saucepan, cover with water, add two teaspoons of salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover and let cook for 10 minutes, until a fork can pierce easily. Drain and return the parsnips and potatoes to the warm pan. Cover and let steam in the heat of the pan for 10 minutes.
Mash the parsnips and potatoes lightly with a potato masher.
Careful not to over mash!
Add butter and sour cream and mash some more. Stir in the chopped parsley and chives.
Add black pepper and more salt to taste.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).