- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Italian Recipes
- Fast, Easy Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Pesto (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Fast, Easy Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Pesto (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 09/12/2014 - Need a quick, delicious summertime dish for a potluck, or an appetizer or side for a group of hungry eaters? Then this fast, easy tomato-mozzarella salad (aka Insalata Caprese) is just the ticket.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is flexible. You can use large or small tomatoes, sliced or unsliced, or any combination you like.
I like to use mixed red and yellow grape and cherry tomatoes. I also like to use small fresh mozzarella cheese balls instead of slices, but either works. In general, I seek uniformity: Small cheese balls for small whole tomatoes, and larger cheese slices with larger tomato slices.
Beyond that, all you need is some pesto, either store bought or homemade, and a dash each of olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette.
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes (the small kind)
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes (the very small kind)
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella cheese balls
- 4 -6 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar glaze
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh basil, as garnish
- dash of fresh ground pepper
- sea salt
Wash and dry the tomatoes.
Cut some of the larger tomatoes in half and keep others whole. Put them in a large bowl.
Drain the mozzarella, slice some of the balls in two, leaving the rest whole.
Arrange to your taste between the tomatoes.
Drizzle balsamic vinegar glaze over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
Place the pesto in the center.
Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil.
Serve at room temperature.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).