- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Grilled Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 08/20/2014 - In response to a request to add some low-fat, diabetic-friendly recipes to the mix, I offer this recipe for grilled fish tacos with fresh watermelon salsa. In this recipe, watermelon is combined with vinegar, cucumber, red onion, and a dash of olive oil to deliver a tasty, offbeat salsa that goes great with grilled fish tacos.
I’m so used to eating watermelon slices, I forget how versatile they can be. In this recipe, watermelon is combined with vinegar, cucumber, red onion, and a dash of olive oil to deliver a tasty, offbeat salsa that goes great with grilled fish tacos.
Also, if you don’t have tortillas, or don’t feel like tacos, the salsa makes an excellent side dish for simple grilled fish.
- 4 fresh white fish fillets (grouper, cod, halibut, red snapper, etc.)
- 2 cups chopped seedless watermelon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 Persian cucumber, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 dozen small fresh corn tortillas
Heat grill to about 400º or medium-high. Sprinkle fish with pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Grill fish, covered for a few minutes on each side, or just until fish begins to flake when poked with a fork, and is opaque in center.
Combine chopped watermelon, onion, cucumber and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss. Serve with grilled fish.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).