Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Connie Sarros’ High Fiber Chicken with Lentils
Connie Sarros’ High Fiber Chicken with Lentils
Connie Sarros travels the country speaking to celiac support groups.Â She has a DVD “All You Wanted to Know About Gluten-free Cooking” and has written the following books:
- Newly Diagnosed Survival Kit
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Dessert Cookbook
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Recipes for Special Diets
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults
- Gluten-free Cooking for Dummies
View all articles by Connie Sarros
This article originally appeared in the Spring 2004 edition of Celiac.com's Journal of Gluten-Sensitivity.
Celiac.com 10/09/2014 - Note: Dried beans will not cook through if the salt is added too early. This recipe serves four people.
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons GF apple cider vinegar
- 3 cans (8 oz. each.) salt-free tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
In a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water; bring to a boil, then rinse and drain. Return lentils to pan. Add 3 cups water and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, adding more water if needed. Stir in salt, pepper, vinegar and tomato sauce; simmer 5 minutes more.
Spray a large skillet with GF nonstick spray. Add oil and sauté chicken pieces over high heat until browned on both sides. Spoon lentil mixture over chicken, lower heat to medium, cover pan and simmer 40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender, adding more water if needed to keep lentils moist.
Calories: 359; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 96mg; Sodium: 359mg; Carbohydrates: 30.5g; Fiber: 9.7g; Sugar: 8.2g; Protein: 45.7g
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Fried Pork or Chicken Cutlet (Gluten-Free)
Anyone who has given up gluten has favorite dishes that they've had to give up, and which are difficult if not impossible to replace.... [READ MORE]
Fennel Roasted Salmon (Gluten-Free)
I’m a big fan of just about any “one-pot” meal.... [READ MORE]
Cocktail Meatballs (Gluten-Free)
1 ½ to 2 lb ground beef Roll into tiny meatballs & 10 or more
gluten-free crackers, crushed brown on broiler rack at 425F and bake.... [READ MORE]
Thanksgiving Stuffing (Gluten-Free)
cups cubed and dehydrated Food
For Life Rice Almond Bread
2 Tbs.... [READ MORE]