Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Halloween Pumpkin Chili with Beef and Beans (Gluten-Free)
Halloween Pumpkin Chili with Beef and Beans (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 10/30/2014 - As much as you might love Halloween, you just can’t (or shouldn’t) have candy for dinner. When dinner time comes, consider whipping up this delightfully hearty pumpkin chili.
Sauté some onion and garlic, transfer all the ingredients to a slow cooker, and four to five hours later, bang! Just remember to add your favorite garnishes and enjoy.
- 2½ cups cubed lean beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cubed avocado, lime wedges, sliced radishes, sliced cabbage, sliced green onions, and whole yogurt or sour cream
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers, and cook until tender.
Add garlic, and cook another minute or so.
Transfer to a large slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours.
Serve with avocado, lime wedges, sliced radishes, sliced cabbage, sliced green onions, and whole yogurt or sour cream. Goes great alone with toasted gluten-free bread, or over rice.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Easy Gluten-free Meatloaf
When I was growing up, meatloaf was one of the dishes that made a regular appearance at our table.... [READ MORE]
Brown Rice and Spinach Salad (Gluten-Free)
This hearty salad is wonderful in the summer when tomatoes peak, but the cherry or grape varieties hold up pretty well year-round.... [READ MORE]
Potato Leek Soup (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from "Carriefaith" in the Gluten-Free
Forum.... [READ MORE]
Buffalo Meat Loaf (Gluten-Free)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
3 teaspoons vegetable oil (divided)
¾ cup fine gluten-free bread crumbs
½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 large egg
2 tablespoons gluten-free ketchup (or pureed roasted peppers)
1 tablespoon Mr.... [READ MORE]