- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Pie & Pie Crust Recipes
- Pecan Almond Apple Crisp (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Pecan Almond Apple Crisp (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 12/25/2014 - This recipe delivers a lovely apple crisp with a pecan and almond topping. Serve it with ice cream, or whipped cream for a homerun gluten-free dessert.
- 4 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- ½ cup of golden raisins, dried currants, or fresh cranberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon potato flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup crushed almonds
- ½ cup crushed pecans
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, add potato flour, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir until the mixture is crumbly. Add more butter as needed.
Press half of the nut and sugar mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add a layer of sliced apples.
In a medium saucepan, add white sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla.
Cook while stirring for about 10 minutes, until it is clear and thick.
Pour this mixture over the apples in the baking dish. Cover apples with remaining crumble mixture.
Place in a hot oven, and bake for about 45 minutes.
When it is bubbly and golden, remove, cool and serve with vanilla ice cream, or frozen yogurt.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).