- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Big Game Day Taco Salad (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 01/20/2015 - Tackle the game day potluck with this easy, delicious taco salad that will have guests asking for the recipe, and will likely be gone well before halftime.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1-2 large avocados, pitted, pealed and cut into chunks
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ pound shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup tomato salsa, plus more for serving
- 1 cans (16 ounces) kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 package (12-½ ounces) Cool Ranch Doritos, or other gluten-free flavor
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free taco seasoning
- ½-⅔ cup Ranch salad dressing, or sour cream to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 8-10 limes cut into wedges
- cilantro as garnish
Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain off fat. Stir in the taco seasoning. Add a tablespoon of water, stir, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese, onion, lettuce, and ground beef in a large bowl.
Stir the hot sauce into the salad dressing/sour cream, and then mix with the rest of the salad.
Just before serving, add the taco chips, tossing to combine with other ingredients. Garnish with cilantro.
Top each serving with sliced avocado, salsa and a lime wedge.
Serve with tortilla chips.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).