- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Roasted Chicken with Creamy Mustard-Mushroom Sauce (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Roasted Chicken with Creamy Mustard-Mushroom Sauce (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 03/05/2015 - This simple, easy to prepare recipe combines chicken with cream, broth, mustard and a dash of tarragon to deliver a smashing dinner dish that will have your dinner guests smiling.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs and legs
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or brown mustard
- Several sprigs fresh tarragon
- ½ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- ½ cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oven to 375° F.
Cut up the chicken: Separate the legs and thighs, remove the bone from the breasts, and cut the breasts into two pieces.
Keep the back and neck for stock.
Place the chicken pieces skin side up in a stainless steel roasting pan.
In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and mustard and brush the skin of the chicken with the mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add sliced mushrooms, and spread the tarragon over the top.
Bake for about 1 hour, until the chicken is cooked through and brown on the outside. Move the chicken pieces to a platter and keep them warm. Move mushrooms to a plate or dish.
Place the baking pan over medium heat and deglaze the pan with the wine or vermouth, making sure to get any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the broth, and boil until it is reduced by about half.
Gradually add the cream and boil to reduce more, and keep reducing until it thickens into a proper sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
Strain the sauce into a bowl, stir in mushrooms, and serve with the chicken, rice and vegetables.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).