- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Creamy Mushroom Soup Sauce (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Creamy Mushroom Soup Sauce (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 03/17/2015 - I can hardly count the number of times I've come across a recipe that calls for condensed cream of mushroom soup. The problem, or course, is that Campbell's, and many other brands contain wheat.
Now, to be fair, there are a number of brands that make a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup.
Still, if you want to make it from scratch, this recipe yields a rich, delicious soup that will go great in any recipe that calls for condensed canned mushroom soup.
This recipe equals to one can condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced fresh mushrooms, about ½ pound
- ½ tsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup whole milk, plus ¼ cup for rice flour paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
In heavy saucepan, add one tablespoon butter and mushrooms, and sauté until lightly browned.
Remove from pan and reserve (mushrooms will now measure approx. 1 cup.
Heat, in same saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons butter, ½ cup whole milk and ½ cup evaporated milk.
Stir in dried onion flakes, celery seed, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, make a smooth paste of 2½ tablespoons sweet rice flour, and ¼ cup whole milk.
Add paste slowly to heating mixture. Stir constantly until thickened. Stir in reserved mushrooms and heat through.
Use in casserole recipes, or add 1 cup of whole milk to make soup.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).