Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Chinese & Asian Recipes
- Glass Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables (Gluten-Free)
Glass Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Here's a dish that makes an excellent alternative to standard dinner fare. Aside from a bit of chopping, it's easy to make, healthy and delicious. Glass noodles give this dish a naturally gluten-free appeal.
- 12 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces dried broad bean noodles, soaked 30 minutes
- ¼ cup dried shrimp, soaked (optional)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 scallion julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (Rice wine, sake, clear vermouth, or even white wine will all work in a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- cilantro, to garnish (optional)
As with many dishes, it is helpful to prepare all of your ingredients before you begin cooking.
Heat a wok over medium high heat and add the oil, onion, garlic, and dried shrimp.
Stir-fry until the onion is translucent.
Add the wine and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
Add the chicken stock, salt, sugar and broad bean noodles.
Turn down heat to low and let everything simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the zucchini and carrots along with the soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper.
Turn the heat up to medium and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, reducing almost all of the liquid.
If you like your noodles a bit more soupy, you can add more chicken stock.
Stir in the shrimp and scallions and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the shrimp is just cooked through. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Stir Fried Shrimp with Peppers and Sweet Chili Sauce (Gluten-Free)
Here's a great twist on standard vegetable stir-fry that will elicit smiles around the dinner table.... [READ MORE]
Mango, Shrimp & Coconut Spring Rolls (Gluten-Free)
In addition to being gluten-free, this recipe is also soy, dairy and nightshade-free.... [READ MORE]
Sweet and Sour Chicken (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from "Carriefaith"
in the Gluten-Free Forum.... [READ MORE]