- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Brazilian & South American Recipes
- Chilean-style Chicken Stew with Pumpkin (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Chilean-style Chicken Stew with Pumpkin (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 11/24/2015 - It's also a great way to make use of any leftover holiday pumpkin. This version features a whole chicken, with pumpkin or squash, rice, potatoes, onions, corn and other delicious vegetables to deliver a wonderful stew that will satisfy hungry eaters. Serve it with a dash of merkén or aji (smoked ground pepper), chopped parsley, and some lime wedges, and it's a winner.
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
- 3 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 leek, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup green beans, sliced finely
- 6 pieces of corn-on-the-cob, 2-3 inches each
- 6 medium chunks fresh pumpkin or yellow squash, as desired
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley, tied to oregano with kitchen twine
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
For garnish: small dish of Merkén, fresh cilantro, chopped parsley, and a dozen or so lime wedges.
Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and rub with 3 cloves of garlic.
Place seasoned chicken, along with the 3 garlic cloves, into a large stock pot and cover with 3-4 quarts of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or so, until the skin is soft. Skim away excess fat and froth as it develops.
When chicken is cooked, remove the chicken to a large plate or dish, and strain the broth through a cheesecloth.
Reserve stock and chicken pieces separately.
Rinse the rice under cold running water until it runs clear.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat, and add the leek, onion, carrots, and remaining garlic, stirring about 3-4 minutes, until brown.
Add the potatoes, pumpkin, washed rice, salt, pepper, parsley/oregano bundle.
Return the stock to the pot and bring to a simmer for about 25-30 minutes until the potato and pumpkin are tender when poked with a fork.
When potato and pumpkin are tender, add the green beans and corn along with the reserved chicken pieces. Cook for 10 minutes longer so that the flavors meld. Remove the parsley/oregano bundle from the stock and salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, include a piece of chicken, potato, pumpkin, corn-on-the-cob, a few carrots, rice, leeks, onions, and green beans in a deep bowl.
Top vegetables and chicken with broth, and add a dash of merkén, cilantro, parsley, and/or lime, as desired.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).