- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Zesty Shrimp with Tasty Cilantro Rice (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Zesty Shrimp with Tasty Cilantro Rice (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 03/03/2016 - Here's a tasty gluten-free dish that's sure to be a big hit with folks who love shrimp and rice. This recipe brings together shrimp, fresh orange zest and juice, scallions, garlic, cilantro and rice to deliver a zesty dish that makes a great diversion from standard dinner fare.
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium orange
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
Cook the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, finely grate 2 teaspoon zest from the orange and set aside.
Cut away the peel and white pith from the orange and, working over a large bowl, cut into segments. Roughly chop the segments and place into the bowl.
Squeeze the juice into the bowl, then mix in the cilantro, scallions, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, red pepper flakes, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with the reserved zest, the cumin, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.
Fold the rice and avocado into the seasoning mixture and serve with the shrimp.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).