- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Italian Recipes
- Spaghetti with Bacon, Eggs, and Swiss Chard (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Spaghetti with Bacon, Eggs, and Swiss Chard (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
A bit of Swiss chard makes a nutritous addition to pasta carbonara. Photo: CC--Leesean
Celiac.com 05/17/2016 - If you're like me and you love that Italian classic, pasta carbonara, but you're struck with little pangs from the nutrition-minded side of you, then this recipe is for you.
This more nutritious version of classic pasta carbonara marries bacon, eggs, and Parmesan cheese with Swiss chard for a hearty, tasty entree. Easy and quick to make, this recipe is sure to delight.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 bunch Swiss chard or Spinach
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
I like to start by cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate, and break into pieces when cool.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the chard during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, and drain the pasta and chard, and return them to the now empty pot.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the oil over medium heat.
Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes until done, but a bit runny.
Toss the pasta and chard with the reserved pasta water, Parmesan cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and fold in the bacon.
Divide among bowls and top with the eggs.
Season the eggs with salt and pepper and top with additional Parmesan and a bit of chopped parsley.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).