- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Southern-style BBQ Chicken (Gluten-Free)
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Southern-style BBQ Chicken (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Barbecued chicken is a warm-weather favorite. Photo: CC--Timothy Vollmer
Barbecue season is upon us once again, and when I want barbecued chicken, nothing else will do. This recipe makes a sweet, tangy barbecue chicken that will have people smiling.
- 10 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 2½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onions
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Using mortar and pestle, grind brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper into a paste.
Put the paste into a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken to the bag, coating each piece with the paste.
Squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag.
Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
When it's time to cook, begin by heating the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook about 4-5 minutes, until softened.
Stir ketchup, white wine vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce into onions; bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, until the flavors blend.
Heat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
Cook chicken on hot grill until lightly browned on all sides, about 1 minute per side.
Turn off one of the grill burners or move the coals and move chicken so there is no heat source directly below it.
Baste chicken with the sauce and cook another 10 minutes; turn again and baste again with sauce.
Keep grilling the chicken until juices run clear, about another 10 to 15 minutes.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Cole Slaw (Gluten-Free)
C... [READ MORE]
Southern-Fried Chicken (Gluten-Free)
This simple recipe comes to us from Jennifer Gross.... [READ MORE]
Barbecue Sauce (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Terri Dillion.... [READ MORE]
Baked Mashed Potatoes (Gluten-Free)
recipe comes to us from Kimberly Dungan.... [READ MORE]