- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Cake Recipes (Frostings)
- Buttermilk-Apple Coffee Cake (Gluten-Free)
Buttermilk-Apple Coffee Cake (Gluten-Free)
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease. In 1998 I created The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore!, and I am the co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.View all articles by Scott Adams
cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup Betty Hagmans Four Bean Flour Mix
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon low-fat buttermilk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. To prepare the cake, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes or until syrupy, stirring frequently; cool.
3. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended; add egg and extracts, beating well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition.
4. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple mixture over cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
5. To prepare
glaze, combine powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon buttermilk, and ¼
teaspoon vanilla in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle
glaze over cake.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).