Orange Jar Bars (Gluten-Free)
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease. In 1998 I created The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore!, and I am the co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.View all articles by Scott Adams
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Dessert Cookbook.
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook.
- Wheat-free Gluten-free Cookbook for Kids and Working Adults.
This one is from the just-released WFGF Cookbook for Kids and Working Adults:
½ cup sugar
½ cup corn oil
½ cup orange juice
1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
1 cup gluten-free flour mixture
2 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break the eggs into a 1-quart jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake 15 times.
- Add the sugar, oil, orange juice, orange rind and vanilla. Cover the jar and shake 20 more times.
- Sift the flour mixture, baking powder and salt onto wax paper, then add to the jar. Shake 40 more times or until mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch square pan that has been sprayed with gluten-free nonstick spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the bars begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Have an adult help you take the hot pan out of the oven.
- When the bars are cooled, sift confectioners sugar over the top, then cut into bars.
Yield: 16 bars. Serving size: 1 bar
Diabetic Adjustment: Use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites in place of the 3 whole eggs. Use brown sugar substitute in place of the white sugar. Omit the confectioners sugar.
Calories: 122; Total fat: 7.7g; Saturated fat: 1.1g; Cholesterol: 39.7mg;
Sodium: 85.6mg; Carbohydrates: 11.2g; Fiber: .2g; Sugar: 5.6g; Protein:
Diabetic Adjustment: Calories: 105; Total fat: 7.4g; Saturated fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 26.5mg; Sodium: 91.8g; Carbohydrates: 7.4g; Fiber: .2g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 2.2g.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).