- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Greek Meat Loaf (Gluten-Free)
Greek Meat Loaf (Gluten-Free)
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease, and since then it has become an invaluable resource to people worldwide who seek information about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet.
In 1998 I created The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore! which was also another Internet first—it was the first gluten-free food site to offer a shopping cart-style interface, and the ability for people to order gluten-free products manufactured by many different companies at a single Web site.
I am also co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
½ cup shredded carrot
½ cup shredded raw potato
1 small eggplant (1 pound), trimmed, pared, and shredded
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 pounds lean ground beef
4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided in half
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
1½ cup fine dry bread gluten-free bread crumbs
3 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Sauté onion in oil/schmaltz/margarine/butter in a 10- or 12-inch skillet 3 minutes, until soft and somewhat golden. Remove from heat. Stir in carrot, potato, eggplant, & garlic, tossing to coat well. Cover, put back on heat and cook about 5 minutes, or until wilted but still crisp.
2. Combine meat, eggs, tomatoes, crumbs, salt, cinnamon, pepper, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and cooked vegetables in a large bowl, mixing lightly by hand. Press firmly into a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. turn out onto a lightly greased large shallow baking pan. (Loaf may also be shaped by hand directly on the baking pan.)
3. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Mix remaining 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and sugar in a cup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. After the 45 minutes of baking, brush this mixture over the loaf.
4. Continue to bake 15 minutes longer, or until brown and glazed. Lift onto heated serving platter with 2 wide spatulas. Let sit several minutes before serving for easier slicing.
The leftovers make great cold meat loaf sandwiches, or slices can be reheated by frying in oil or butter.
Serves 8 generously.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).
Get FREE Celiac.com email alerts (1-3 email per month with the latest celiac disease research and information, gluten-free recipes, etc.).