- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Alcohol and Celiac Disease
- By Randi Madden
- Published 12/11/2007
Discussing GI issues isn't the best ice breaker but sometimes you can get people to laugh about it. "Don't you miss bread?" or "Oh my god, you're Italian, what about pasta?" People are funny, especially when ignorance is their best friend. I'm a post-grad therapist trying to understand what it means to be human. I'm also a newly diagnosed celiac and struggling to understand the "nature of the beast" when it comes to this disease.
I know the big "no no's" - gin, whiskey, beerfermented from grain, hops, barley. I miss my black and tan's at the local Irish-type pub but still love my cosmos.
Any advice on the affects of vodka, rum, mixed drinks in general?
Or should I just give up the ghost when it comes to happy hour and stick with club soda and lime?
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).