Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
CA State Senate Introduces Resolution to Declare May 2011 as Celiac Disease Awareness Month in California
- By Scott Adams
- Published 02/21/2011
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease. In 1998 I founded The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore!, and I am the co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.
Celiac disease is the #1 genetic autoimmune disease in the United States as well as the most common in the world. It is estimated that 3 million Americans are affected by celiac disease, yet 97% of them don't even know it....yet. The average delay in diagnosis is 9 years.
If left undiagnosed, related autoimmune diseases include Type 1 Diabetes, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Thyroid Disease and certain types of
- There is no cure. Celiac disease is the only disease completely controlled by diet. The "cure" requires a life-time commitment to a strict Gluten-Free diet. Ingestion of even a crumb of wheat, rye and/or barley can cause a severe reaction.
- Symptoms may include: diarrhea, weight loss/gain, migraine headaches, anemia and infertility.
- Research shows that the numbers of affected Americans doubles every 20 years.
May is already recognized as National Celiac Awareness Month, and New York, Oregon, North Carolina and Ohio have recently come on board at the state level with their own resolutions. Declaring May as Celiac Awareness Month in California will help bring attention to the disease and facilitate the goal of increasing awareness. Elaine Monarch, founder and executive director of the Celiac Disease Foundation, expressed the importance of such a designation: "CDF is grateful to Senator Bob Huff for being at the forefront of this Resolution, which will help us shine a light on the importance of the early diagnosis of celiac disease"
Celiac Disease Foundation
13251 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1
Studio City, CA 91604
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).