- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
M & P Food Productions, Ltd. Issues Allergy Alert on Several Varieties of Vareniki/ Dumplings Because of Undeclared Wheat
- By Scott Adams
- Published 09/27/2011
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease. In 1998 I founded The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore!, and I am the co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.
The ingredients statement of the products did not declare the presence of milk or wheat. As a result, we are recalling all of the products listed below with "BEST BEFORE SEP 19 2011" through "BEST BEFORE MAR 19 2012" from the market:
- Bapehuku Dupling brand Vareniki cabbage, NET WT. 14 oz., UPC 7 07163 02619 8;
- Bapehuku Dupling brand Vareniki potato & onion, NET WT. 14 oz., UPC 7 0 7163 02616 7;
- Bapehuku Dupling brand Vareniki potato & mushroom, NET WT. 14 oz., UPC 7 07163 02617 4;
- Bapehuku Dupling brand Vareniki farmer cheese, NET WT. 14 oz., UPC 7 0716 302618 1;
- Bapehuku Dupling brand Vareniki sour cherry, NET WT. 14 oz., UPC 7 07163 02615 0.
All products are packed by weight (14 oz.) and are distributed frozen in sealed plastic bags. Labeling is printed directly onto the individual bags. Vareniki Cabbage packages have a yellow and green background with green and black lettering. Vareniki Potato & Onion packages have a yellow and brown background with brown and black lettering. Vareniki Potato & Mushroom packages have a yellow and blue background with blue and black lettering. Vareniki Farmer Cheese packages have a yellow and purple background with purple and black lettering. Vareniki Sour Cherry packages have a yellow and red background with red and black lettering.
No illnesses related to the recalled products have been reported to date.
The recall was initiated as a result of a labeling problem discovered during a USDA inspection which was confirmed by the FDA during a follow-up visit to the manufacturer.
Consumers who have purchased any of the above listed products are urged to return it (them) to the place of purchase for a refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at (718) 438-6421 Monday - Friday 9 am - 4 pm ET.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).