- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Snacks for "Yaks" - Specific Carbohydrate Diet Ideas
- By Carol Frilegh
- Published 01/16/2008
I am 79 an undiagnosed Celiac, since March 2000. I had chronic sinus infections and fluctuating weight, lost 86 pounds, got pneumonia, and needed antibiotic and Prednisone. I also got MCS and Latex Allergy. Unable to eat without pain, I started The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). Things began to improve at once. I am not cured but SCD has been effective in managing the Celiac and helped improve my damaged immune system. It is a bit stricter than the gluten-free casein-free diet.
I could make an entire box of Wheat Thins disappear faster than David Copperfield.
Bars lost money when I dove into their pretzel bowls.
My kids knew if they asked me to babysit they would have to replenish their stock of Saltines, Triscuits, Cheese Ritz and Goldfish crackers the following day. I had to say goodbye to those forever. But hope and snacks spring eternal. A door closes, an oven opens!
By gosh I still nosh, but it's different snacks for us "Silly Yaks" ( a.k.a. celiacs).
Good Eats, Safe Treats
- Stuffed Dates wrapped in sugar-free bacon and baked until bacon is crisp.
- Cauliflower popcorn, pieces of cauliflower, tossed in oil and spices and baked until brown and crisp.
- Fruit Leather- fruit pureed and spread on a cookie sheet until it firms up.
- Crackers made of baked Goat Cheddar cheese.
- Nuts tossed in spices and roasted.
- Granola made of nuts, dried fruits and dried unsweetened coconut.
- Thin slices of Butternut squash or beets deep fried.
- Fried Carrot Curls.
- Sliced mushrooms tossed in oil and baked until crisp.
- Smoked oysters.
- Truffles made of dried fruits and nuts processed with the blank cone of my Omega juicer and rolled in coconut.
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet Chicken Nuggets with Peanut Sauce.
- Crackers made with nut flour.
- Stuffed Mushrooms.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes.
- Chilled Shrimp dipped in Ramesco (Roasted red pepper dip).
- Shrimps dipped in egg or homemade mayonnaise and unsweetened coconut and fried.
- JK Gourmet's paper thin Biscotti with pistachios and dried fruit morsels.
- Tiny Specific Carbohydrate Diet egg rolls.
- Dill pickles.
- Deviled Eggs.
- Mini meatballs.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).