Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten-Free International Room (Outside USA)
12 12

Discussions about living gluten-free in Canada, Australia, Asia & Pacific Rim, UK, Europe, etc.

533 topics in this forum

• 2 replies

1. Ads by Google:
    • 2 replies
    • 997 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 6 replies

• 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 18 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 50 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 21 replies
12 12
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Silent Celiac or Non-digestive symptoms
      Oh, you might learn how to tell if you had been glutened.  I just had anemia as my main symptom.  I did not have any tummy issues at all.  I was in shock when my doctor even suggested testing me for celiac disease!   Glutenings can vary as we are all different.  For some it is just a few days, others a few weeks and others months (that would be me).  My last official glutening as supported by follow-up antibody testing lasted for three months.  Guess what?  I had vomiting, abdominal pain, the works!  Funny how celiac disease can change and evolve over time.   Welcome to the forum!  Have some patience and learn all that you can.  The good news is that you can feel better and no medications are required!  
    • Confused
      Thank you for the information. I've been not sure if I should eat gluten or not right now. Dr. said I should watch what I eat when I emailed him the question. My symptoms aren't very bad (I understand that doesn't matter for celiac disease), so I can definitley tolerate the food. But I have been starving myself the last few days due to not knowing what the heck is going on. Thanks again.
    • Could this possibly be related to celiac or a gluten intolerance?
      If you did actually have celiac disease, it can take weeks, months and years to recover from some of your symptoms, especially neurological ones.   Best to get screened for celiac disease.  It's a simple blood test.  Any medical doctor can do it.  But a GI doctor is needed for a diagnosis, since an endoscopy is part of the diagnostic procedure.  BUT you have to be consuming gluten to get accurate results! http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ http://gi.org/guideline/diagnosis-and-management-of-celiac-disease/ Keep on researching.  I wish you well!    
    • Confused
      Your doctor is woefully mis-informed.  First of all you did get a positive on both (barely on the TTG IGA).  That does not mean you should be referred to a dietician.  You should be referred to a GI to run either the full celiac blood panel (your GP can not order it at Kaiser) and schedule you for an endoscopy to obtain four to six biopsies to confirm celiac disease which is the GOLD standard level of care. Read the research here: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ Ask your doctor for a GI referral.  Show them the print out out from the University of Chicago.  Be nice, but they'll do it.   Also, did your GP run a IGA deficiency test?  Do you have those results?   Best to email your doctor.  Reqest a GI referral.  Once it is in writing, your doctor has to act.  Let him know that what is required for a proper diagnosis per leading celiac research centers and the American GI Association. http://gi.org/guideline/diagnosis-and-management-of-celiac-disease/ DO NOT GO GLUTEN FREE UNTIL ALL TESTING IS DONE!  This is so critical.  Otherwise the tests will be invalid.  Then you'll be in diagnostic limboland!   After your GI consult, you can ask to be tested for vitamin and mineral levels.  Spend time learning about celiac disease and the gluten diet.  Learn about cross contamination and hidden sources of gluten. Again, DO NOT GO GLUTEN FREE YET!  You can do anything you like, of course, but get the facts first!     
    • Could this possibly be related to celiac or a gluten intolerance?
      I too have more neuro than gastro symptoms...its so weird. I hope we both find answers soon!
  • Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
    • ukuleleerika

Hello! I am new to this Celiac website... Is there anyone out there with Celiac AND extensive food allergies? My allergies include shellfish, dairy, eggs, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, nuts, oranges, red dye, and more I can't think of. I went to the allergist about a year ago to see why I wasn't feeling well, and once everything was eliminated, I still didn't feel well. We did more testing to find out I had celiac as well as allergies to cattle as well as rye grass (I live on a farm basically). This was back in January 2016. I recently had my endoscopy with the gastroenterologist a week ago. I have no idea what to do or what to eat... So fish and potatoes for me!
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Andrew Miller